Saturday, February 09, 2008

Notes on this week's trading and trading calls

As my regular job has becoming more demanding, I had to cut down my time on trading/blog on week days. Managed to do 1 DT and 3 overnight SW and 1 SW long, except ILMN, all came out nicely.
As for my >weekly trading calls: for 18 calls on 10 stocks, there are 2 winners (FSLR DRYS), 4 losers (AAPL, BIDU,GS,SPF), 1 near miss (FSLR) and the rest of non-hitters. This is the first time in quite sometime that the losing calls outnumbered the wining calls, probably reflecting my underestimation of current dire economic environment in my last weekend's market analysis.

Looking ahead, I probably have to further cut down time on trading as due to the job, and I am thinking about using a simulation trading system to execute my trading calls, which in a long run, can provide a nice record for systematic evaluation of the trading calls and performance. I am currently considering Investopedia's Stock Simulator, would love to hear any suggestions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what is your job and how the hell is that more important than the market? :)
Anyway I made a few mistakes during this week but ended up ahead, bolstered some positions, flipped others...was in rhythm with the market, but a few days really boggled my mind.
During the morning of the csco dump i was snooping around and at 5:10 am the mm actually had altr at 16.5, down 1.00! so i scooped it, he opened at 16.78 and filled the gap quick, that was cool because that mm can be a prick.
As far as aapl, you have to feel it, it doesn't always fill gap-ups and doesn't technically do what you think, thats why there is a cemetary for aapl shorts, if i am right about the release of the g3, that is a compelling reason to own the issue.

flyingwabbit said...

well, I work in a university (with a PhD in biology) and it is more important than the market because it is still the one that pays the bills, which says a lot about my trading execution :P
I thought you have a day job too, and you got up early and trading at 5:10 am? man!
Well, I sure hope the rumor on AAPL is true, I really need it to pop up so I can do something about it.

Anonymous said...

phd wow congrats,yeah i'm an engineer, but insomniac so i wake at 4:30 check the news and get ready to trade or go back to sleep...by friday i'm thrashed...

EZboy said...

Wow, smart guys here ! I am just a programmer/web developer.
Flyingwabbit, I hope you will still have time for your weekly trading calls writeups, they are greatly appreciated.

flyingwabbit said...

yuriy:
I wouldn't equate ph.d=smart guy for sure! I myself always look up to programmers and engineers, because the former excels with the hands of imagination while later translates dreams into realities, ph.d in biol stuck somewhere in the middle, most of them (including me) just plain hopeless...